Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Scott Kinabalu Enduro: The First 100 Miles



I've never felt the need to write a shoe review before but these shoes are different. Ever since shoes started appearing last year that featured Vibram's MEGAGRIP outsole, along with the immediate response from product testers, I knew I wanted to get my hands on a pair. At the time, the only shoes available with the desired outsole were the Hoka One One Speedgoats and the Merrel All Out Peak, and neither tickled my fancy. They were both good shoes but not for me. I wanted something with a more traditional shape. My prayers were heard and answered by Scott Sports in the form of the new Kinabalu Enduro. It should be noted at this time that these shoes are not part of the traditional Kinabalu family but a stand-alone model with no lineage. Phil at Seven Hills was able to get me one of the very first pair and I couldn't lace them up quick enough. Just walking around in the running store produced an audible pealing noise as the outsole lifted away from the hardwood floor. Megagrippy indeed! A few hours later I would be finishing my first mountain run in them and I couldn't have been more thrilled. I briefly raved about them on FB but realized it was too early to offer up a solid opinion. But now I have over a 100 gnarly mountain miles on them and I am still in love. Are they 100% awesome and made for everyone? Certainly not. But hopefully this review will answer any questions one may have and allow them to make a more informed decision.

The first thing that I noticed right out the box, other than the blinding color, was the weight. These suckers are not light by any stretch of the imagination. Phil had a scale handy and each shoe (size 10.5) weighed in at just over 14 ounces. Considering my other trail shoes weight between 8 ounces and 11, these were substantially heavier. The source of the weight was obvious. It is the combination of the outsole and the crazy armor-like one-piece upper. The upper is like an exoskeleton that has been wrapped over a breathable mesh. At first I wondered if Scott went overboard with so much protection. But then I remember that the one thing that I hate about Scott shoes is there propensity to tear open on the lateral aspect, where the upper meets the midsole. Armor away my friends! The fit was great. True to size, surprisingly ample room in the toe-box, and a well cushioned heel-cup. Despite the advertised drop of 11 millimeters, the shoe felt as though the drop was in the single digits. I was smitten, and I hadn't even gotten taken them to the trails yet.

As soon as I hit the mountain I went from smitten to a full on infatuation. Oh, that whole 14+ ounce issue? Hah! It was like the medieval knights who balked at the heavy weight of chain male only to put it on and think blacksmiths must use magic. I was now a believer. In full discloser, the MEGAGRIP compound is very hard, and you will hear audible contact noises when you hit the ground. Despite that, the combination of Scotts rocker shape, eRide structuring, and ample EVA foam, ensure the shoes are more than comfortable. Also, these 100+ miles were not on buffed out trails made from pine needles and pixie dust. I put these shoes through the wringer. Dirt, gravel, rock, slush, snow, ice, water, wood, metal, and even about a mile of pavement. Not to mention 35k' of ascent and the same of descent. Through all of that, they performed admirably. Perhaps what is most surprising is how well they have held up. Don't get me wrong. I knew they would be tough just from looking at them but there is almost zero visible wear. Mostly just discoloration from dirt. If the outsole was washed clean and someone told me it was brand new I would believe them. Well done, Vibram! The only noticeable wear issue, that could become a future problem, is the separation of the toe-cap from the toe-box. As with many trails shoes, the outsole will continue past the bottom of the shoe and up vertically to form the bumper for the toe-box. The adhesive has begun to separate a bit. The bumper is still completely functional, however, the small lip that now exists could catch on things in the future should it continue to separate. This is common with many shoes that utilize this construction and I don't really see it being an issue, but it was worth noting. I will certainly keep an eye on it.

Overall, I absolutely love this shoe and will continue to use it as long as it lasts. Can it be used for all different types of off-road terrain? Absolutely. But I have found that it's natural home is in the harsher environments, where ground-feel is not as important, and a little separation between ones foot and the earth is desired. In a weird way, they almost feel like a throwback trail shoe. A bit on the heavier side but tough as nails, like some of the old school Montrails. These shoes will go all day, all night, and then some more. So if that is what you are looking for, and I know many of us are, this is it. So go out and give them a try, and make sure to do so at your local, independently owned running store (as you probably won't be able to find them anywhere else). Mine happens to be Seven Hills. A big thanks to owner and friend, Phil, who continually gets me obscure shoes, despite limited demand. Keep on running, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment